Recent Fire Damage Posts
Morgan Hill Residents Need Rapid Fire Damage Restoration After a Kitchen Fire
Fire and smoke damage in your kitchen is no DIY project. Let the techs from SERVPRO handle all the fire mitigating services needed for your home.
SERVPRO of Morgan Hill / Gilroy Offers a Rapid Response for Fire and Smoke Damage
One of the common reasons SERVPRO gets called to fire damaged homes is a cooking-related incident. We can address the damage, including foul protein smoke odors, so that you can get your home returned to pre-fire condition “Like it never even happened.”
SERVPRO is available for prompt, reliable fire damage restoration in Morgan Hill should you have a kitchen fire. When you encounter a grease fire in your home, these are essential tips to remember:
- Carefully turn off the heat
- Try to cover the flames using a baking pan or metal lid
- Smaller flames might be able to get smothered with baking soda successfully
- Larger flames require the use of a fire extinguisher
- Never pour water onto the flames
- Never try moving the pan
Of course, if flames begin spreading, you need to get out of your Morgan Hill home as quickly as possible and call 911. After first responders finish extinguishing the fire, contact our team at SERVPRO to come for fire damage assessment followed by detailed cleaning and restoration. After first responders deem your property safe to enter, we will go in to evaluate the situation to come up with a plan of action for handling fire and smoke damage.
Experts in Smoke Remediation and Odor Control
At SERVPRO, we have proven methods that allow us to tackle stubborn smoke and foul odors.
- Our IICRC-certified technicians have been trained in odor removal
- We bring advanced equipment to address odor-causing particles, including industrial-grade HEPA filtration
- The team has access to a broad selection of odor-removal products and EPA-registered cleaning agents
Let SERVPRO of Morgan Hill/Gilroy handle house fire clean up and fire damage restoration. Call us 24-hours a day at (408) 500-0657.
SERVPRO is a Trusted Fire Restoration Company in Gilroy
A fire in your home can be very stressful. Let our skilled fire remediation specialists help get your house back to feeling like a home again.
Gilroy Residents can Rely on SERVPRO to Provide Fast and Efficient Fire Restoration of Their Homes.
A fire incident can be a traumatic experience for any homeowner. If you delay the fire restoration of your Gilroy home, you stand to lose much more than what is already lost to the fire. Hiring a professional fire and smoke damage restoration company like SERVPRO can help you prevent further losses and speed up the restoration process.
Fire restoration of your Gilroy home needs to begin as soon as the firefighters leave the scene. SERVPRO restorers provide prompt services to protect both the loss site and human health. Our immediate objective during fire and smoke damage restoration is-
- To prevent fire and smoke to cause additional damage
- To provide a safer work site
- To prepare the structure for mitigation and restoration
What Emergency Services does SERVPRO Provide During House Fire Cleanup in Gilroy?
SERVPRO restorers provide emergency services to fire damaged homes in Gilroy to reduce damage and minimize disruption.
- Conduct initial inspections- The first job of a SERVPRO restorer is to evaluate the loss site for any health and safety hazards following fire and smoke damage.
- Boarding up the structure- The structure is properly sealed and boarded to prevent any losses due to intrusions.
- Drying the structure- It is important to dry any water on the property used to extinguish the fire. SERVPRO experts extract any excess water and set up drying equipment before the fire damage restoration can begin.
- Initial cleaning- It is important in some cases when the restoration can't begin immediately. Eliminating the smoke and soot residue can prevent further damage.
Restoration Experts of SERVPRO of Morgan Hill / Gilroy are available 24/7, Call us today at (408) 500-0657.
Does Odor Restoration Include Automobiles?
Fire damage can be quite overwhelming when it happens in your home. Call SERVPRO right away after an event.
SERVPRO Can Remove Many Forms of Smoke Damage from the Automobile of your Morgan Hill Home.
Your car may seem like the least of your worries after experiencing a property fire. However, automobiles can sustain significant damage from a property fire, whether because they are close to the source of fire or in an enclosed space like a garage affected by smoke.
Our technicians are trained to carry out fire damage restoration in your Morgan Hill home and its property. Cars can be challenging to clean due to the large number of recesses where smoke can enter and become trapped. Door cavities, dashboards, and air conditioning systems are often at high risk of exposure following a property fire. While technical damage to the car must be repaired by a qualified professional, SERVPRO technicians can deodorize and clean light smoke or odor problems.
- Technicians can remove non-salvageable components of the car and directly spray deodorant solvents beneath.
- Rubber materials in the car are protected with silicone gel before the operation of an activated oxygen unit in the vehicle.
- Thermal fogging can also be an effective measure against odors in a car alongside ventilation.
- Hydroxyl generation is typically the safest way to exchange pungent compounds into inert, non-offensive products
Combat fire odors in all parts of your home. Contact SERVPRO of Morgan Hill / Gilroy for fire damage restoration at (408) 500-0657.
Fire Damage Restoration Service in Morgan Hill
SERVPRO says enjoy your glass of wine and maintain your hearth to prevent fire damage to your Morgan Hill home
How to remove smoke residue from contents after fire damage in Morgan Hill?
A Spanish expedition camped in what is now Morgan Hill in 1772. Settlement began around 1845 with ranches started by the Murphy, Dunne, and Hill families. Hiram and Diana Morgan Hill inherited the land in 1884. They built a weekend estate, which later was named Morgan Hill.
Today the city of Morgan Hill is considered a bedroom community of Silicon Valley, with several high-tech companies headquartered in the area. The city has become a dining, recreational and entertainment destination. Luxury restaurants, wineries, events, and nature parks are among the attractions bringing visitors to the area. It is ranked in the top 20 most expensive places to live in the United States.
Morgan Hill has an approximate population of 50,000 people. Downtown Morgan Hill has over 30 restaurants, stores, boutiques, and historic buildings. Over 250,000 people visit the area every year, taking in the farmer’s market, the Mushroom Mardi Gras, Taste of Morgan Hill, and of course, the Fourth of July parade. There are organized walks for art, pub crawls, and wine tours throughout the year. A few of the exciting things to enjoy in the area include:
Wine Lovers Paradise
- Anderson Lake Country Park
- Santa Clara Wine Trail – a few of the many local wineries
- Guglielmo Winery
- Light Post Winery
- Alara Cellars
- Jason Stephens Winery
- Morgan Hill Cellars
- And more
- Uvas Canyon County Park
- Morgan Hill Museum
- Gilroy Premium Outlets
- Odeum Restaurant
- Trail dust BBQ
- Morgan Hill Farmer’s Market
Morgan Hill Museum
Learn about Morgan Hill history while visiting the 1911 Craftsman style home. There are many archives, collections, maps, photos, and memorabilia from the history of the area and Morgan Hill residents in earlier times. Visitors can visit the Morgan Hill House, the Morgan Hill Museum and walk along the Centennial History trail. The trail walks you through history dating from 4000 BC to the present day, including events ranchers settled the area.
Morgan Hill Farmer’s Market
The Morgan Hill Farmer’s market hosts over 35 vendors representing local businesses and farmers in the area. It runs Saturday from 9 am to 1 pm at the Caltrain station on 3rd St and Depot St. Fresh fruit and vegetables recently harvested are offered at the market along with many other local products.
Dissolving and Removing Smoke Residues After a Fire
Fires in your home can cause a great deal of physical damage. However, they also leave smoke deposits in the house on the walls and contents in the area of the fire and adjacent rooms. Grease fires in kitchens often occur, producing an oily residue.
SERVPRO examines the type of smoke residue produced from fire as they assess the fire damage in Morgan Hill homes. We apply the appropriate cleaning methods and agents to remove smoke residues and odors from all of your contents and structures.
- Soap works well to dissolve oily residues
- We use solvents to remove non-water-based residues
Contact SERVPRO of Morgan Hill / Gilroy for fire damage services in Morgan Hill and surrounding areas. We can help 24/7. Call (408) 500-0657.
Enjoy the Garlic Festival in Gilroy
We are looking forward to the Garlic Festival in Gilroy.
The Garlic Festival and the Gilroy Farmers Markets are great events coming soon
Gilroy, California, is well known as the garlic capital, and its Garlic Festival, held every year in the summer. This year it is planned for July 2021. Thousands of visitors come to Gilroy's garlic festival to enjoy everything garlic. Music, food, arts and crafts, cooking competitions are all offered with a garlic theme. Almost two tons of garlic are consumed every year. Registration for food competitions starts early in January.
Garlic is added to almost every food you can imagine, including:
Seasoning for soups, salads, and main courses.
If you cannot make it to the garlic festival, the Downtown Gilroy Farmers Market may be the next best thing. Every Sunday in downtown Gilroy on 7th street, the open-air market is held between Eigleberry and Monterey street. The market is a year-round market offering organic produce and local foods, with lots of garlic intertwined in all of the products. There are also arts and crafts available designed and produced by local artists.
SERVPRO of Morgan Hill / Gilroy provides fire damage services to Gilroy residential and commercial business customers and the surrounding area. Call (408) 500-0657. We respond 24/7 to help with all your fire damage needs.
Morgan Hill Historic Downtown Walking Tours
SERVPRO is looking forward to seeing you at the Morgan Hill Historic Downtown Walking Tours.
You Can Also Enjoy a Holiday Boutique & Holiday Tea in Morgan Hills
Morgan Hill is an area rich in history, and there is no better way to discover it then through the Morgan Hill Historical Society. A walking tour of Morgan Hill’s historic downtown is a wonderful way to see history up close. The 2nd Saturday of each month is when the tours take place. Reservations are not required, but they are appreciated. The tour starts at 10:00 AM and ends around noon. The tour is free, but the Historical Society welcomes donations.
Park at the Community Garage (Enter on 4th St.)
Meet at 50 E. 3rd St (Garage exit)
Other upcoming events include:
Friday, November 5th – Sunday, November 8th
Hiram Morgan Hill House
10 AM – 5 PM
17860 Monterey Road
Morgan Hill, CA 95038-1258
Friday, December 4th & Saturday, December 5th
Hiram Morgan Hill House
11:30 AM – 1:30 PM
SERVPRO of Morgan Hill / Gilroy provides fire debris removal services to the area. For more information, contact us at (408) 500-0657. We are proud to be part of such a historical city and look forward to being part of its future.
Can SERVPRO Clean Kitchen Contents After Fire Damage?
Our experts are available to assist in fire damage restoration efforts right away. Call SERVPRO today.
Morgan Hill Residents Are Concerned About Appliances and Furniture After Fire Damage.
Morgan Hill residents know that the kitchen is the heart of the home. It is where we prepare meals for ourselves or our family, and of course, the kitchen is usually the most popular place to hang out at a party. After a long day, it is refreshing to go to the kitchen for a cold beverage or to start a fresh coffee pot.
Fire damage to your Morgan Hill kitchen can feel devastating. The sight of soot-blackened walls and grimy furniture is upsetting. However, do not despair. SERVPRO has teams of trained fire restoration experts on hand to put your kitchen back together.
Can I prevent fire damage to my kitchen?
Although we are on hand to help you – we hope you will not need us! Take these simple steps to prevent fire damage to your kitchen:
- Never leave the stove or a hot pan of food unattended
- Be aware of trip and fall hazards such as trailing cords, and fix them
- Do not let pets or young children into the kitchen when you are cooking
- Store dish towels and aprons safely away from the cooker and open flames
- Keep a fire extinguisher on hand – check it is safe for kitchen use, and familiarize yourself on how to use it
Unfortunately, no matter how careful you are, a disaster can still happen. In the event of fire damage to your kitchen, call SERVPRO of Morgan Hill / Gilroy as soon as you can. We Are Faster To Any Size Disaster, and we will get your kitchen back to normal as quickly as possible.
Why does soot make such a mess?
Soot forms from incomplete combustion of materials during a fire. Soot consists mostly of carbon but can also have traces of metal, chemicals, and even dust. Soot bonds to surfaces, creating a dark residue that can be very difficult to remove.
Soot particles are tiny – smaller than dust or mold – making it easy for them to settle on materials and stick there.
There are different kinds of soot:
- Dry soot is the most straightforward kind of soot to remove
- Wet soot happens when fires burn low and slow and is particularly difficult to remove
- Oily soot comes from burning plastics and rubbers and is greasy and hard to clean
- Protein soot comes from burning proteins, and is most common in the case of kitchen fires – it smells terrible, and the smell can linger long after the fire is out
Soot is notoriously hard to clean, which is why you should call SERVPRO. All our technicians undertake Institute Of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration Certification (IICRC) training, and are well-versed in handling every type of soot.
Can you clean my wooden furniture?
We will assess wooden furniture and let you know if we can salvage it. If the surface is badly blistered or warped by the flames, it may need refinishing. However, if the main problem is soot stains, we have a range of cleaning methods to help.
Dry cleaning is better for unfinished wood, such as inside drawers or at the back of units, because it does not push the soot deeper into the unprotected grain. For finished wood, we have a range of detergents suitable for wood furniture. We can also carry out semi-refinishing to deal with heavier soot damage, or where the furniture has water stains from fire-fighting efforts.
Can you help with soft furnishings?
Yes – SERVPRO can clean and restore upholstery, drapes, and blinds after a kitchen fire. Our team will advise you on the best cleaning method for each item and get your approval before commencing work.
For some items, such as Venetian blinds, dry cleaning, or ultrasonic cleaning, are ideal. Ultrasonic cleaning pushes tiny bubbles of cleaning solution deep into the stained material to loosen and remove soot particles.
For delicate upholstery, spot cleaning may be a better choice. Spot cleaning uses a carefully-chosen cleaning solution and focuses only on affected areas rather than soaking the entire surface.
What about my appliances?
Soot damaged appliances can be tricky to clean. Our technicians know which cleaning solutions are the safest and most effective on different kinds of devices. We start by dislodging as much soot as we can with dry cleaning to minimize the cleaning fluid we use on your appliances.
We are also mindful of the risks when operating an appliance after a fire. That is why we have an authorized electronic service company check and confirm each machine's safety before turning it back on.
Can SERVPRO help with the smoky smell?
Yes – we use air scrubbers, odor-eating pellets, and, if necessary, a fogger or an ozone generator, to remove odors from your kitchen. We know that kitchen fires can leave a particularly smelly residue, and your kitchen must smell fresh again so you can feel comfortable there.
For help with fire damage cleanup, call SERVPRO of Morgan Hill / Gilroy at (408) 500-0657.
The 4 Key Steps for Operatin a Fire Extinguisher
This campsite bathroom fire was extinguished using a fire extinguisher.
Follow These Four Steps
The right tool at the right time can be a lifesaver, but only if you know how to operate it. If a fire breaks out in your home in, a fire extinguisher could minimize the property damage. It is not a particularly hard item to use effectively; however, it can be helpful to become familiar with the device. If you follow the PASS technique, you will be able to use most extinguishers like a pro. Follow these four steps:
Pull. A pin is normally located on the top of the device. Just pull the pin out to make the unit operational.
Aim. A hose usually protrudes from the fire extinguisher. Take the hose and aim the end of it with a nozzle at the fire. Aim low at the base of the fire for best results.
Squeeze. Squeeze the handle to release the fire fighting agent. This should result in a forceful flow of foam or some other material out of the hose.
Sweep. Move the hose and nozzle along the base of the fire in a controlled sweeping motion. Do this until the fire is completely out or the device runs out of fluid. Keep a close watch on the extinguished fire for a few hours to make sure it does not revive.
In the case of a kitchen fire, you will need to be careful of what type of fire extinguisher or method you use. A grease or oil fire should be controlled by smothering it with a heavy metal pot lid or by pouring large quantities of baking soda on the fire.
To minimize fire damage, it's a good idea to call in a professional fire mitigation company. Trained technicians can arrive Faster to Any Size Disaster and begin the fire restoration process. They will treat water damage as well as work on removing the impacts of soot and smoke with a professional fire cleanup.
When fire damage take control of your life, we help you take it back.
The first 48 hours after a fire damage can make the difference between restoring versus replacing your property and personal belongings. SERVPRO of Morgan Hill / Gilroy can help prevent fire damage from creating long-term problems. SERVPRO of Morgan Hill / Gilroy provide timely response with mitigation services ranging from fire, smoke, and soot removal to contents claims inventory and document restoration. These services help ensure your property, belongings and memories are restored to preloss condition when possible.
What you can do until help arrives :
- limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet
- keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork
- place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas
- if electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator completely and prop doors open to help prevent odor
- wipe soot from chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trip and appliances, then protect these surfaces with a light coating of lubricant
- if heat is off during winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks, toilet bowls, holding tanks and tubs to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures
- wash both sides of leaves on house plants
- change HVAC filter, but leave system off until a trained professional can check the system
- tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in or out of the HVAC system.
- attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting your SERVPRO of Morgan Hill / Gilroy
- attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting your SERVPRO of Morgan Hill / Gilroy
- attempt to clean any electrical appliances (TV sets, radios, etc.) that may have been close to fire, heat or water without first consulting an authorized repair service
- consume any food or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water (they may be contaminated)
- turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. Wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock, and air movement may create secondary damage
- send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set in smoke odor.
So, before you risk doing further damage by attempting to clean up the damage yourself, call the fire damage cleanup and restoration professionals at 408-500-0657. SERVPRO has worked for over 40 years to help make fire damage "Like it never even happened."
The Importance of Smoke Alarms
Fire Loss in Morgan Hill
Smoke detectors and fire alarms are one of the most important items in your home. These early warning devices may help alert your family to fire and dangerous smoke but they need to be periodically tested. Testing them regularly and replacing batteries is one way to help ensure you and your family stays safe should there be a fire in your home. Roughly 3 out of 5 fire deaths happen in homes with no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms.
According to the USFA, smoke detectors should be tested at least once a month and batteries should be replaced at least once or twice a year.
Smoke alarms are a key part of a home fire escape plan. When there is a fire, smoke can spread fast. Make sure that you test all smoke alarms at least once a month by pressing the button to be sure the alarm is working.
If you have any questions, please call SERVPRO of Morgan Hill / Gilroy at (408) 500 0657!